Which Essential Oil are You?
There are many essential oils out there. Each one has a different scent, purpose, and benefit. So where do you even start, and better yet, which one will truly soothe your soul?
They say that we like things that are most like us, and it’s the same when it comes to essential oils. Try this fun quiz to find out which essential oil is most like you. Then we’ll show you how to use your favorite oils to feel fantastic!
Wait, What’s an Essential Oil?
Essential oils are commonly referred to as the ‘essence’ of the plants they are derived from. These special oils come from the bark, kernels, seeds, flowers, roots, and other parts of plants.
Essential oils are highly concentrated natural compounds with aromatherapeutic abilities, such as calming the mind or energizing you. The scent of some oils may even help you sleep if insomnia is an issue! That’s just a sneak peek into essential oils and their many benefits. See our blog post, “Essential Oils: The World in a Bottle,” for more info on the care that goes into our oils and how they’re produced.
One quick warning: Our essential oils are NOT meant to be ingested, so don’t use them for cooking. Don’t eat them and don’t drink them, either. You can get all the benefits you need just by smelling them! Here’s the scoop on aromatherapy and how it can help you:
Aromatherapy is the use of essential oils, incense, and other scent-captivating items in a holistic, natural manner. To put it simply, aromatherapy is based on the idea that certain scents can have positive effects on the person who breathes them in. This is a very ancient notion. For centuries, cultures have
used aromatherapy in different ways. We suggest you use it to increase your focus and productivity, or else to wind down after a stressful day!
Although aromatherapy is a complex word, it’s a simple way to improve your mood and your day. It can be as easy as carrying a tiny bottle of essential oil around with you and taking a sniff when you need a pick-me-up or an anxiety reliever.
However, if you’re experiencing a serious medical issue, call your doctor immediately. Essential oils can be used to potentially remedy mild annoyances but should NOT be used to replace medicine entirely.
Now that you know the basics, it’s time to get to the fun part: the quiz!
Quiz: Which Oil Are You?
How to Score: Just tally up the amount of times you select each letter!
Are your answers all A’s, mostly B’s, or a big mix?
- When you get home at the end of a long day, what’s the first thing you do?
A. Cook myself/my family some dinner
B. Kick my feet back and turn on the TV
C. Take a long, hot shower or bath
D. Head right back out the door for a party!
- What’s your favorite food?
A. Meat and potatoes
C. Crème brûlée
D. Chips and salsa/dip
- Which of these colors do you like most?
- What’s your favorite activity?
A. Spending time with friends/family
B. Binge-watching my favorite Netflix series
- What’s your biggest fear?
A. Being alone
B. Public speaking
D. Tight spaces
- What’s your dream destination?
A. Any beach in Florida!
B. Universal Studios or Disney World
D. Primal treehouse in Belize
- What’s a strength of yours that’s also a weakness?
A. I care a lot about people… sometimes so much that I put their needs ahead of my own.
B. I love spending time with myself and being independent, but sometimes that makes me feel lonely.
C. I love nice things. My wallet does not.
D. I’m incredibly outgoing, but sometimes it gives the impression that I’m immature.
- Who is most special in your life?
A. My family and friends
B. My pet(s)
C. My significant other or best friend
D. I love everybody!
- How large is your family?
A. Pretty big
B. Huge, unfortunately
C. I’m an only child
D. I’ve got one or two siblings
- What is your favorite music genre?
A. Classical, country, jazz, or blues
B. ‘90s/2000s rock bands
C. Modern pop
Great, you’ve got 10 answers! Count how many of each letter you chose.
If You Got Mostly A’s…
You’re extremely family-oriented! You have a classic taste in food, music, and life! You might be a little wary of trying new things, but all of your loved ones help you to discover things you’re missing out on.
Your social battery rarely runs out, and you love being around people as long as they’re polite and civilized. Ragers are a no-go for you, and loud music hurts your ears. You likely have a large DVD collection with every old Disney movie and family game nights are common.
Most importantly, your essential oil is eucalyptus! If you have kids, you’re likely running errands in every waking moment of the day: taking the little ones to soccer practice, going grocery shopping, and trying to make room for date night. Eucalyptus helps relieve soreness and encourages a calm, cool mindset that keeps you from exploding at a minor mistake. Hey, we all have those days!
About Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus has an iconic herbal scent that is instantly recognizable. It has a fresh, slightly wintery scent that helps relieve inflammation
and energizes your soul.
This essential oil is often diffused in the house to promote healthy and clean well-being. It is an excellent deodorizer and combats stinky smells from the family dog or a kids. We love ‘em, but they don’t always smell good!
Here’s a recipe for a Eucalyptus Oil Shower Cube that helps relieve clogged sinuses:
What you need:
- 5-7 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup of cornstarch
- Ice cube tray
- Non-metal bowl
- Mixing utensil
- Mix the essential oil and cornstarch together in a non-metal bowl until they are thoroughly combined. It should look like crumbly powder.
- Add the water and stir slowly. Once the two tablespoons have been mixed in, add teaspoon by teaspoon of water until a thick paste forms.
- Squish the paste into the ice cube tray and freeze for about an hour.
- To use, pop a cube in a small bowl or by the shower drain. Make sure it’s not somewhere you’d step on it! Adjust the shower handle to warm water and enjoy the sinus-clearing aroma.
If You Got Mostly B’s…
You like to take it easy and enjoy life as it hits you. You have a few close friends that you check in with every so often and you love ordering take-out. New food choices are fun, but it’s stressful to try out a new hangout spot.
You likely love slow, reverbed lo-fi music or upbeat 2000s bands like My Chemical Romance or Ghost Town. You have a soft spot for animals. People? Not so much.
Some people think you’re a little nerdy, but you’re actually just well-versed in classics like Star Wars or Star Trek… but not both. You might be a little artsy and have some of your finished pieces hanging around your cozy room.
Your essential oil is lavender. Lavender is relaxing, sleep-inducing, and ever-so-slightly reminiscent of flowers in fall.
About Lavender Oil
Lavender essential oil is derived from the beautiful purple flowers of the lavender plant. It is one of the most popular essential oils as it promotes a healthy sleep cycle and may even relieve persistent insomnia.
You can diffuse this pure essential oil to relax and take a breather or add it to other personal care products to reap the skincare and hair care benefits.
Take a beat to complete some much-needed self-care with a Lavender Oil Facial Steam.
What you’ll need:
- 4 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 cups of distilled water
- Bath towel
- Make sure your face is makeup-free and cleansed before starting.
- This recipe is easy-peasy! Pour the distilled water into a pot and boil. Distillation is preferred since it’s the purest form of water, but you can use filtered water in a pinch.
- Take the water off the heat and let it stand for five minutes.
- Mix the essential oil into the water.
- Drape the bath towel over your head and the pot to keep the steam in. Hold your head above the pot, keeping your eyes closed for about ten minutes. Relax and enjoy your facial steam.
- Once the time is up, dispose of the excess water and pat the moisture on your face into your skin. Stick to once a week for best results.
If You Answered Mostly C’s…
You have a taste for the finer things in life, and you’re not afraid to show it. Chanel and Prada dust bags litter your walk-in closet, which is filled with hundreds of accessories, tops, and bottoms.
You love classic cars and fine dining. Your nails are always manicured, and you have a taste for pink and purple. You stay fit, prefer champagne over beer, and likely were considered the ‘mean girl’ in high school… but you’re actually really nice!
Your essential oil is sweet orange. You’re slightly spicy and not afraid to voice your opinions, plus you’re well-traveled. You have a few best friends that you’re closer with than your family and you might come off as a little bossy at times.
About Sweet Orange Oil
Sweet orange essential oil is an energizing cult classic that helps to perk up the
mind and soul. It helps boost positive thinking, which helps you achieve tranquility when something doesn’t go your way. The scent is fruity and citrusy, and it comes from the rind of the orange.
Sweet orange oil is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and non-toxic. It’s also dog-safe: In fact, many shampoos designed for dogs use it as an ingredient since it easily deodorizes pet odors!
Carry around this sweet-smelling Essential Oil Roller that doubles as a perfume:
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops of lemon essential oil
- 2 tsp. jojoba oil (this is a carrier oil)
- 10 mL perfume roller bottle
- Pour all ingredients into the roller bottle and shake well to combine.
- Roll behind your ears, on your neck, on your wrists, and behind the knees for an uplifting, citrus sunrise scent that helps you to be more productive and keep your cool.
If You Answered Mostly D’s…
You’re the life of the party! You’re fun, spontaneous, and get along with everybody. You were the social butterfly in school or maybe even the class clown. You like to take life by the horns and steer it where you want it to go.
You’re down for a random campout with friends or a one-way ticket to Mexico. Validation is important to you, but you’re mostly concerned with having a good time and making sure that everyone else is, too.
You like to live every day as if it’s your last. You either have a partner you’ve been with forever or you get bored of romantic interests easily. It’s not your fault they can’t keep up!
Life in the fast lane can be exhausting. Your scent is cedarwood essential oil.
About Cedarwood Oil
Cedarwood essential oil is derived from the bark of the cedar tree, which is native to the Himalayas and the Mediterranean. It has a slightly musky, grounding smell that helps to center you and keep you focused. You can center your mind and prevent yourself from veering off course with a gentle sniff of cedarwood oil.
This woody-smelling oil is best diffused or applied topically. For an excellent Diffuser Oil Blend, try this Cedarwood-Bergamot combo:
What you’ll need:
- 4 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 4 drops of bergamot essential oil
- Fill your diffuser to the ‘max fill’ line with distilled water. It is important to use distilled water as tap and filtered water can result in mineral build-ups that clog your machine.
- Add the two essential oils to the water and swirl. You may have to adjust the amount of oil depending on whether your diffuser is larger or smaller than 100-200 mL.
- Turn the machine on and bask in the forest smell.
If You Got a Mixture of Letters…
You’re a wildcard. There’s not a stereotype that easily fits you, and your lifestyle shows it. Maybe your favorite food is habanero pepper, and you like to clean for fun.
You’re weird, in a good way! There’s nobody else like you. Your essential oil is *drum roll* … whatever you want it to be!
For you, we recommend our Sweet 16 Essential Oil Set. You’re likely an adventurous type and will love testing out each oil to see which is your favorite.
PURA D’OR: Real Oils, Real Results
PURA D’OR has a clear and simple mission when it comes to aromatherapy. We produce only top-quality, USDA Organic, 100% pure essential oils and we source them sustainably. We care for Mother Earth. We hope our quiz offered you some insight into the essential oil that speaks to you the most, and that you connected with yourself in a deeper way. Discovering your path and who you are is surely the way to happiness.
Visit our aromatherapy catalog to choose a carrier oil to pair with the essential oil that resonates with you. Your sense of smell is the one that triggers the largest emotional response, so find an oil that smells like your perfect idea of home.
Great product !
Great product !
Too fun! I got sweet orange oil, which is actually my favorite scent!